I didn't get the Credit Suisse job, and Merrill Lynch never even attempted to reschedule with me. So as far as Coop goes...I'm back to square one.
HOWEVER! This past week was "Spring" break for CEFAM. I'm not sure since when the last week of February is considered spring, but hey, I'll take it. The first weekend of it (Feb 22-24), was a bit lonely to put it lightly. My family arrived on Sunday afternoon. But pretty much everyone that I live with left at about 7 on Saturday morning, so I had a lot of alone time. It was kind of interesting because it was a little taste of how much I am going to miss these people. I can't even think about that right now though...
On Sunday, I met my parents and brother at the train station and we headed to their hotel. It was absolutely AWESOME seeing them. I didn't quite realize how homesick I was until the weekend before they came when I was talking to them on Skype. They were all in the living room with my dogs and it made me miss home so incredibly bad. So spotting my 25 year old brother, Raymond, clad in sweatpants and full American glory among the sea of black "oh so chic" French clothing was the best feeling. When we got to their hotel I surprised my parents with a little wine and cheese happy hour, which was greatly appreciated. We spent the rest of the day on Sunday and most of Monday exploring Lyon. The Basilica was definitely the winner, I didn't think my mom had any plans to leave.
Monday afternoon is really when the vacation started to get interesting. Instead of spending the week leisurely hanging out, or being carelessly led around by a tour group, my intrepid family decided to do things a bit differently. We rented a car and drove to Chamonix in the French Alps for a few days of skiing. For a group of people who have spent many years skiing, getting to do even just a few runs in the Alps was a dream come true. Chamonix was absolutely lovely. It was interesting to see because all of the ski towns in Utah and Colorado try so hard to look 'Alpine'. Seeing what they were aiming for was very cool.
Probably the highlight from this leg of the trip though was at dinner one of the nights. My parents decided to order two different versions of Raclette, which my mother was absolutely sure she knew what it was. However, after two large heating devices, a quarter of a wheel of cheese, a bowl of plain potatoes, and a few other ingredients came out, she wasn't so sure anymore. Needless to say it was hilarious, and after a bit of hard work quite delicious. Just to get an idea, this was about half of what they received:
Moral of the story: If you need an extension cord for your dinner, be prepared to roll up your sleeves a bit.After a long ride back to Lyon, and a few difficulties with the 'TomTom', we were able to get ourselves on a train to Paris for the weekend. Unfortunately, my break was riddled with stress about co-op. I had to bring my computer along with me all week. The constant checking of MyNeuCOOL (our co-op database) and continual e-mails to my elusive co-op advisor didn't exactly spell out fun. I was just so grateful that I had my family with me. As bad and discouraging news just seemed to roll in, having them there was keeping me sane. All in all it was a fantastic break, and spending it with the people who really are 'home' was the nicest break that I could ask for.
And after they left, I was definitely missing them but I guess my dad always does come through. While digging around in my bag for my metro pass, I found a pair of his black socks from skiing. So now I guess a little bit of them is still here...Thanks Daddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment