Lately in my International Management class we have been talking about Expatriation. One of the main points that my teacher is stressing is the importance of communication and support from the headquarters for the expat. Lack of those things are one of the main reasons why expat missions fail. While sitting in class learning about this I can't help but relate it a little to Northeastern. First and foremost, the co-op office. I send at least 5 emails to my advisor before I get even one response. It's ridiculous! I realize I am across the ocean but I took all of the steps leading up to going abroad in order to avoid this! This is your job, do it. Companies have no interest in phone interviews and I just don't understand. By studying abroad, I'm doing something that a lot of students don't have the drive, motivation, or quite frankly the balls to do. Why should I be punished for it? Aren't those all desirable qualities in the workplace...balls included? It is just one of the most frustrating feelings I have ever had. I know for a fact that I am more qualified than a lot of the students that I have spoken to who are getting great jobs. But because I'm willing to break out of the Northeastern campus bubble, I'm not even considered. AHHHHH!
Breathe Kaitlyn...
Anyways, today in particular we were discussing common stages of home-sickness that plague expatriates. First of all there are 4 defined stages of culture shock: honeymoon, irritation and hostility, gradual adjustment, and then bi-culturalism. I don't think it takes much analyzing to realize that I am in the irritation and hostility phase. Along with this come different symptoms of culture shock. Hearing my teacher rattle them off today I had to keep myself from laughing because they were so incredibly on point. One point definitely stood out more than others though. 'Clean and organize excessively'. I'm known to have a rather messy room at home. Looking for clothes typically involves digging through a number of different piles. Living here it has been somewhat of a twilight zone. I clean my room daily, make my bed every morning, do the dishes, sweep the floor, and I've scrubbed my toilet at least 5 times. Definitely different. The reason for this? People going through culture shock can't control the majority of the things that occur in their life anymore, so they turn to controlling the one thing that they definitely can...their home. Phew, so that explains this weird weird behavior...I was starting to worry.
*Note: In case you couldn't tell from the frustration, I didn't get the Goldman Sachs job.
Breathe Kaitlyn...
Anyways, today in particular we were discussing common stages of home-sickness that plague expatriates. First of all there are 4 defined stages of culture shock: honeymoon, irritation and hostility, gradual adjustment, and then bi-culturalism. I don't think it takes much analyzing to realize that I am in the irritation and hostility phase. Along with this come different symptoms of culture shock. Hearing my teacher rattle them off today I had to keep myself from laughing because they were so incredibly on point. One point definitely stood out more than others though. 'Clean and organize excessively'. I'm known to have a rather messy room at home. Looking for clothes typically involves digging through a number of different piles. Living here it has been somewhat of a twilight zone. I clean my room daily, make my bed every morning, do the dishes, sweep the floor, and I've scrubbed my toilet at least 5 times. Definitely different. The reason for this? People going through culture shock can't control the majority of the things that occur in their life anymore, so they turn to controlling the one thing that they definitely can...their home. Phew, so that explains this weird weird behavior...I was starting to worry.
*Note: In case you couldn't tell from the frustration, I didn't get the Goldman Sachs job.
1 comment:
Thanks for that mgmt help! I could not find the culture shock phases anywhere :)
Post a Comment